Principal Areas of Practice
Strong project leadership and business development background. Experienced in financial institutions enterprise risk management and assessment. Proficient in the analysis of internal policies for compliance with regulatory guidelines. Strong process review, reporting and communication skills.
President, T. Gschwender & Associates, Inc. July 08 - Present
Manage day-to-day operations of a 25-year old, well-established consulting company, responsible for conducting independent loan reviews for financial institutions in the Northeast. Responsibilities include:
- Developing new business with financial institutions located in the company’s market area
- Overseeing loan review specialists and ensuring loan review meets company’s quality control criteria and financial institution engagement letters
- Conduct/lead independent loan reviews
- Discuss results with financial institution senior management and Board of Directors
Regional President, Adirondack Bank, Jun 05 to Jul 08
Responsible for developing and maintaining new business relationships in Bank’s northern market in Franklin, Clinton, and Essex counties and Bank’s largest metropolitan market, Syracuse (Onondaga County).
- Managed one of the Bank’s largest commercial loan portfolios
- Helped develop an effective marketing strategy for the market
- Supervised Branch Managers
Senior Vice President of Risk Management, Adirondack Bank, April 2003 to October 2006
Oversaw all aspects of the bank’s enterprise wide risk management function, reporting directly to the Chairman of the Board but working on a day-to-day basis with the bank President and other senior managers to ensure a safe-and-sound operating environment. Responsible for identifying, measuring, monitoring, and controlling major risks associated with banking, including but not limited to:
- Compliance, Transaction, Credit, Interest Rate Risk, Liquidity, Strategic and Reputation risks. Administered the bank’s compliance programs and conducted loan reviews on an annual basis.
- Led the bank through three satisfactory regulatory Safety and Soundness Examinations, a Compliance Examination, and a Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) Examination by federal and state examiners
- Developed a cost-effective audit program that thoroughly evaluates risks associated with all bank activities
Associate National Bank Examiner, Department of The Treasury's Comptroller of The Currency (OCC), November 1999 to April 2003
Portfolio manager (direct supervisory responsibility) for two community banks with total assets over $200 million. Led, conducted, and assisted in risk based regulatory examinations. Compiled and analyzed data and formulated conclusions, including risk assessment of various products and services. Prepared examination reports. Coordinated with other OCC personnel and participated in discussions with bank management and the Board of Directors. Developed recommendations for future supervisory strategies, including the development of plans to effect corrective action and monitor progress.
- Assisted in over thirty bank examinations (led three), including review of the Bank's Capital, Earnings, Liquidity, Investments, Loan Portfolios, Interest Rate Risk Management, Board/Management Effectiveness, and Audit/Internal Control Functions
- Awarded Comptroller of the Currency’s Quest for Excellence Award by Quality Assurance
United States Air Force - Active Duty, October 1979 - November 1999
- Air Education and Training Command’s Inspection General (IG) - Reported to the Director of the Education Branch at national headquarters responsible for conducting quality assessments (audits) of the Department of Aerospace Studies at major universities nationwide
- Senior manager reporting to the Director of the Human Resources Department serving over 4,800 employees in 23 diverse units
- Several other assignments in personnel and examining roles